Home Safety - Home Comfort Blog

How to Prevent Water Damage With Your Washing Machine Hose

Posted by Jaclyn Thomas on Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Water damage is the 2nd most common home insurance claim next to wind and hail. Water damage can come in many forms, but a common preventable one are washing machine hoses leaking. Burst hoses can really cause a lot of headache and thousands of dollars’ worth of water damage.

There are now special no-burst hoses on the market that we offer here at Peterman Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, Inc. No-burst hoses are encased in a woven metal sleeve that prevents weak spots in the rubber from developing into leaks. Replacing the hoses can save you a lot of time, money and frustration down the road.

If your washing machine is currently connected to bare rubber hoses, you could be risking a lot of money. They loose their flexibility over time. You should inspect it and plan ahead by scheduling to have it replaced with a no-burst hose. If you spot any blisters, cracks, bubbles, or a loose connection, replace the line immediately. When these rubber hoses are under constant water pressure,

they are prone to leaks or even bursting.  When a rubber hose breaks, water will pour into your laundry room until someone notices the water and turns off the main water supply. This can cost you thousands of dollars to clean up!

Replacing your washing machine hose is fairly inexpensive compared to the potential cost of a flood. If you would like to schedule to have your washing machine hose replaced call 317-859-4270.


Read Full Post

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

Posted by Jaclyn Thomas on Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is very serious and could be easily prevented.  It is referred to the “silent killer” because it is hard to detect due to the lack or odor, being colorless and tasteless. One of the places CO can come from is your furnace. Our technicians are well trained in detecting a leak and it is important to regularly check for CO during your annual HVAC tune-up.

If your family was exposed to CO, symptoms of mild acute poisoning include: lightheadedness, confusion, headache, feeling like the world is spinning, and flu-like effects. Larger exposures can lead to toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and death. After acute poisoning, long-term problems may occur.

Some sources of carbon monoxide in a home might include:

  • A car left running in an attached garage
  • Portable generators
  • Corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe
  • Portable kerosene or gas heaters
  • Loose or broken vent pipes
  • Improperly installed kitchen range or vent
  • Operating a grill indoors or in a garage
  • Gas or wood-burning fireplace
  • Blocked of clogged chimney
  • Gas or oil furnace


Here at Peterman, our office manager Kristy often talks about and sends out paperwork concerning carbon monoxide detectors being sold.  Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer in homes.  It’s our responsibility to protect our customers.  It is important that you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home for any gas appliance (furnace, fireplace, water heater, etc.).  Even if you have a carbon monoxide detector currently in your home, please ask your service technician to check their manufacturing date, the life of a Carbon Monoxide detector is average 5 years (some are less than 5 years).

To get your HVAC system tuned up and to check for the “silent killer,” please call us at 317-859-4270. We will schedule you for the soonest appointment available.


Read Full Post

HVAC Copper Theft Prevention

Posted by Chad Peterman on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

copper theft


Aluminum and copper are just some of many materials used in the construction and operation of HVAC units. Non-ferrous metals like these are strong, malleable, lightweight and rust/corrosion resistant. Copper is particularly desired.

Read Full Post

How HVAC inspection can help protect from Carbon Monoxide

Posted by Chad Peterman on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Carbon monoxide


Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer because there is no odor from the gas and the symptoms can be so slow most people won’t realize that there is a problem until it is too late. Even when the levels of carbon monoxide are fairly low, they can be making people sick and can be especially detrimental to small children, infants and pregnant women when exposed over a significant period of time.

Read Full Post

Stay warm and cozy this winter with these helpful tips

Posted by Chad Peterman on Thursday, December 11, 2014

winter prepare


Here are some helpful tips to make sure you stay warm and cozy all winter long:
• Get a Maintenance Agreement- This way, your heating unit gets checked annually by a professional to make sure it stays consistent and efficient.
• Change filters- Changing furnace filters every couple of months will keep your heat flowing freely and save you money.

Read Full Post

Page 1 of 5 Next Page >>